Kerato-regulating care for infantile seborrheic dermatitis
- Dermite Séborrhéique
Infantile seborrheic dermatitis (ISD) affects almost two-thirds of newborns, mostly on the scalp, and is known as cradle cap. Its physiopathology is still debated, including hyperseborrhea, proliferation ofMfurfur, and inflammation.
A kerato-regulating care has been formulated with patented active ingredients to impact all the components of IDS. It contains alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) esters, butylavocadate with antiseborrheic properties, capryloyl-glycine complex to limit the proliferation of microorganisms (Malassezia), aloe vera, and bourrache oil with soothing and antiinflammatory properties.
This product has been tested on babies from two different European countries.
Material and methods:
The first study was conducted in Germany by 3 dermatologists and 3 gynecologists together recruiting 30 children (mean age, 22.4 mos) with light to moderate cradle cap (initial score 3.1 on a 10-step scale). The tested product was applied every evening with shampoo every morning on 30% of children and one every other night on the other 70%.
The second study took place in Spain with 33 younger babies (mean age, 5.2 mos) affected by more severe cradle cap (initial score 4 to 5) recruited by 8 pediatric nurses. Product was applied every evening.
The two studies lasted 15 days with clinical investigations at baseline (day 0) and day 15.
Results were analyzed by nonparametric Wilcoxon test for the second study.
Results are in the same range for the two studies.
Total clearance of the scales: 49% first study/52% second study (mean delay calculated for the second study, 10.4 days); investigator global assessment: 87%/82% (P ¼ .03 vs. day 0) efficacy; scales severity: 81%/73% (P \.01 vs. day 0) improvement; erythema severity: 100%/85% (P\.01 vs. day 0) improvement; pruritus: 80%/83% (P\.01 vs. day 0) decrease. Parents’ assessments were similar: 63%/75% for the scales elimination.
Cosmetics properties were the following: light texture: 97%/97%; easy cleansing: 97%/97%; nonirritating: 93%/97%.
A patented cosmetic product has proven its efficacy for infantile seborrheic dermatitis in two European studies. It is recommended as a first line care for cradle cap, 7 or 3.5 days a week and acts rapidly (mean, 10.4 days total clearance).